Empowering young people ...
to make a positive difference in Racine County through grant making and community service. YAR is a United Way education program that provides grants to fund youth-designed, youth-led community service and service learning projects.
THE PURPOSE AND FUNCTION OF YOUTH AS RESOURCES IS TO:
- Provide funding for supplies needed to complete youth-led community service projects
- Promote youth as capable community contributors who have valuable ideas and are able to take on responsibilities with energy and skill
- Empower youth to develop and apply their capacity to transform themselves and the world in which they live through active participation in the relationships, events and institutions that impact their lives
- Foster youth/adult partnerships where adults play a significant role as respectful partners and where both youth and adults share power and decision making
- Promote the direct involvement of youth in their communities as productive workers, as agents of change and as advocates for themselves and others in organizations and institutions throughout the community
- Promote in youth the development and acquisition of new knowledge and skills by providing support and challenging opportunities.
THE YOUTH AS RESOURCES MODEL IS BASED ON THREE CORE PRINCIPLES:
- Youth-adult partnerships
- Youth-led service
Due to the current situation in our community the YAR funding is redirected to COVID-19 funding. UWRC will continue to lead Youth As Resources as a youth leadership initiative.
Questions? Contact MaryBeth Kallio, Community Investment Director, at 262-898-2247.